Numeracy is embedded across the school curriculum in all lessons. Students are encouraged and supported to use mental arithmetic and calculate approximate answers before making use of calculator's, computers and support from teachers.
During morning strategy, those students whom spend this time with tutors, will work on stage appropriate numeracy activities to support progression in lessons. The topics covered include:
- Telling the time
- Knowing the days of the week
- Knowing the months of the year, thinking about seasons
- Being able to name 2D and 3D shapes
- Knowing mental arithmetic and taking part in the times tables challenge
- Being able to check calculations independently
- Playing games such as 'going shopping' and 'dominoes with a numeracy twist'
- Recall and so on
Providing numeracy time 'switches on the brain' to numbers and prepares students for numeracy in their lessons.
As students move to KS4 and beyond numeracy sessions are devised to support weak areas identified for examination courses being followed.
The lead of Numeracy is Miss Favell (Lead of Maths) and Ms Anderson (Deputy Headteacher for Teaching and Learning). If you have any questions about numeracy please do contact myself Or Miss Favell.